Saturday, November 12, 2011

Potato Printing- Screw it


I had been wanting to try my hand potato printing for a while. Did lots of it in school, and even "diversified" into other veggies like okra/ladyfinger, lotus root etc. Actually the idea was to do a custom print on a scarf. But could not come with a cut of potato that I liked. They were either too simple or did look good in print. Then I remembered an old trick from school days where I used the head of a screw to stamp flowers. And Wallah! I had a cute little custom print. Here a few tips from today's experience if you would like to try it too.
1. Definitely, definitely test your design, paint color and paint consistency.
2. Practice with your stamp (atleast 4-5 times) before printing on the actual fabric.
3. Keep a rag handy and clean the stamp often.

I did a simple repeat of these grey flowers. I plan to buy another color next week (I only had black and white paint at hand today) and introduce the "custom" look.





No comments: