Monday, January 29, 2007

Memory Matters

I read a quote somewhere and as usual I dont remeber the exact words. Its something to the effect that people look down upon a bad judgement but dont seem to mind a bad memory. Well it was put in a much better way, but what I intend to say here is that in general intelligence is weighed over memory. It may be noted that this applies to humans only and we are not talking about computers here.

So why is intelligence weighed over memory? I think, just like intelligence, a great memory is also something we are not born with. Its take effort to build a fast and relaible memory just as is does to acquire any skill and for that matter intelligence. Its another faculty that we possess that must be sharpened and developed.

A couple of days back I was discussing answers to those 'typical' interview quiestions with a friend and we came upon an extremely difficult one- what are your weaknesses? Now this is a delicate one and must be answers thoughtfully. Forgetfullness of names of people and books, we though is a safe anwer. Why is that?

I feel it is very important to remember things and details. It can help identify things that are linked, it helps connect with people and can save lot of time and effort.

The mind is an automatic filter which seives through the tons of information that this world throws at us every second, but it is important to regulate this apperture through which we take in the world. Its is to be ensure that we are not skipping to much and conciously absorb information.

2 comments:

vinod said...

i think mind has an automatic filter which erases the memory but i think in the subconcious mind you don't want to remmeber that thing thats why it gets erased...if you try to recognise smething from the past u can get the answers.......even my memory is so short, it erases automatically the data before last 2-3 years....
but thanks to my subconcious mind which keeps some snaps of it....

[ i think i have got a ram and a swap space but not a hard disk ]

Jeseem said...

ain't it like, we are born with intelligence and build on memory.

I have memory like a sieve, so had to read ur post many many times:)

And regarding the IV question about weakness. Just a thought, kick me if you find it wrong (that is if you can find me :))
I prefer to escape from such IV questions by joking about it, like say hey you should ask that to my wife, she will have lots to say, except I haven't found her myself
or
give a good thing about you and prove a bad of it, like saying i over-commit. or I want to go beyond what co. wants. like if they want to improve performance by 100%, I try by 500% and keep at it and smtimes the manager has to step in and say, hey enough, 200% is enough, now u stop :-)

interesting post miss.